The municipal council of the commune of Schengen is made up of representatives directly elected by the people of the commune and represents the legislative power at the communal level. The number of councillors depends on the number of inhabitants of the municipality. The municipal council meets under the chairmanship of the mayor in the presence of the communal secretary at least once every 3 months. Municipal council meetings are public – unless otherwise stated – and are held in the meeting room of the municipal administration in Remerschen.
The communal council has many responsibilities:
- It decides on all matters that concern communal interest (for example, voting on the budget and accounts, setting tariffs and fees, and approving construction and urban planning projects).
- It is responsible for making municipal regulations.
- It appoints, removes and dismisses the officials and employees of the municipality, under the approval of the Minister of the Interior.
- It appoints the members of the administrative commissions of public hospitals and social welfare offices.
- It may call on voters to vote in a referendum in cases of communal interest and under the conditions it determines.